[Mediawiki-l] Usability Initiative Extensions / WikEd Toolbar Conflict?

John Concilus jconcilus at bssd.org
Sun Aug 29 20:29:40 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am running the wonderful Usuability Initiative features on several
of my MediaWiki installs successfully, and really think they work
well.  However, on one my instances of MW 1.16 we use for our school
district's Open Content curriculum I can't get the new toolbar to
work.

I think I am having an apparent conflict between the WikiEditor
toolbar, and Caycle's "WikEd" toolbar extension that has been running
on the site for four or so years, and can't seem to remove it
effectively. That older project code, and the required PARC Wiki
Dashboard tools are the only major differences between my sites that
I can see. I've tried removing the PARC tool, but nothing changed.

I have the Vector skin installed, and all modules are showing
up...everything looks great until I try to use the new WikiEditor
toolbar.  An older version of this extension:

	http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikEd

When I or any of my users clicks "Edit" the script tries to call the
WikEd code, and all we get is my choice of:

	1) A blank space where the toolbar should be...no toolbar at all

	2) A nonfunctional WikEd toolbar. Nothing works on it. Click
the tool to make it disappear
		(upper right) and get an error

	3) Turn all Usability Initiative features off, and load the
standard original flavor toolbar

Try as I might to remove the WikEd one, I can't seem to keep it from
calling that code. I've escaped it, taken out every reference I can
find....and it keeps coming back. I removed the "Common.js" where it
was stored, cleared every kind of cache possible (I think)...from the
server itself to our machines' hardware level cache and browser
cache. Tried different browsers, but didn't help. No proxy in the
upstream path.

I can't find any instructions for removing the WikEd code on the
developer's home page:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Cacycle/wikEd

Since it is an OLD version of that toolbar, I can't even find the
installation instructions to deconstruct what I did to get it set for
"site wide" use, rather than just user-specific. In reading them, the
instructions seem to have changed, and I can't figure out why the
code keeps coming back....

Here are my specifics, but they are identical to my other sites
running MW 1.16...except for the WikEd toolbar:

	MediaWiki  	1.16.0
	PHP 		5.2.14 (apache2handler)
	MySQL 		5.0.91-community-log

	UsabilityInitiative (Version 0.1.1)
	User Daily Contributions (Version 0.1.1)
	Vector (Version 0.2.0)
	WikiEditor (Version 0.2.0)

Further info:

	http://wiki.bssd.org/index.php/Special:Version

A huge THANKS in advance if anyone has any clue how I can remove this
code, or fix the problem in some other way. I will post to Caycle's
page, but am hoping to get this fixed before school opens in the
morning, and teachers need to edit.

Regards,

JTC..in the Bering Sea
--

	"No matter where you go, there you are."

				Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

Digital Contacts:
http://www.bssd.org
jconcilus at bssd.org
Skype VOIP: Johncn2

John Concilus, Director of Educational Technology
Bering Strait School District
225 Polar Bear Avenue
Unalakleet, AK 99684
907-624-4237 (Office)