[Mediawiki-l] installation issue with 1.16.0 - mysql user privilege

Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C] sullivan at mail.nih.gov
Wed Aug 4 20:40:49 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have been installing many mediawiki wikis over the past few years using a remote mysql server.  I do not use the mysql "root" account but instead use another user, which has had the proper privileges to install the database, until version 1.16.0.  When I install the mediawiki version 1.16.0 into my document root directory and run the installation, the installation runs fine up to "Granting user permissions..." at which point I get:

Query "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON 'database_name'.* TO 'database_user'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'database_password' " failed with error code "Access denied for user mysql_user at mysql_host to database 'database_name' (database_server)".

Just to make sure all was ok I was able to install version 1.15.2 without error.

Have the privilege requirements for the database user privileges changed from 1.15 to 1.16 for installing mediawiki?  I did not see any mention of this in the release notes.  I am using mysql version 5.1.16-beta.

Any help appreciated...

-Jim