[Mediawiki-l] Is it possible to copy pages

Mark (Markie) newsmarkie at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 9 14:26:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Tony Molloy <tony.molloy at ul.ie> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I'm new to wikis and mediawiki in particular.  In order to learn how
> mediawiki
> and wikitext works I'm building a "Wiki Primer" wiki for our students to
> use
> with lots of examples and have two problems.
>
> 1.  I've seen that you can move and rename pages but is it possible to copy
>     pages
>         copy pageX to pageY
>     and have them separately editable afterwards.

You can kind of do this by using the following code:

<inputbox> type=create preload=XYZ width=40 </inputbox>

This will create a new page at the title that is put into the input box
using the content from the page of the value XYZ. This would mean that the
code about could be put on the main page with preload=Main Page and then
users could insert there own page title to copy it to and the page content
of Main Page would then be loaded into the edit box of the new page ready to
be saved (users would have to save, this does not automatically do it and
would load the edit interface for the new page)

2.  If I have a big page ( way too big ) with several sections. Is it
> possible
>     to make each section into it's own page.

It is possible to both link to and edit only specific sections of a page.
 To link to an section titled history just put #history on the end of the
url (ie wikilink would be [[Cheese#History|History of cheese]].

Hope this helps,

Regards

Mark