[Mediawiki-l] First adventures with Category

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun Nov 22 18:08:06 UTC 2009

Categories have not been widely (or correctly) used on our wiki, and I want to
start sorting this out.  Following the wiki instructions I have created the
first category that I wanted, but I'm puzzled about the category links created
on the pages.  The wiki states:
<quote>
These links do not appear at the location where you inserted the tag, but at
the page margin in a fixed place, depending on the skin (the bottom for
MonoBook, the upper right corner for Standard).
</quote>

I find that, putting the category statement at the end of the page, I actually
see "Category: Getting Started" at the place I entered it.  What's more,
'Getting Started' is red, like an un-created page, although clicking on it
does take me to the category's listing.

Further on in the wiki it says to add a colon, as

[[:Category:Getting Started]]

but that results in the whole statement turning into a red link.

What do I need to do to correct this?

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group