[Mediawiki-l] Cache strategy for a single small machine

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 18:02:53 UTC 2009

Rolf Lampa [RIL] wrote:

> 2. $wgParserCacheType *
Cache for the result of rendering a page. Rendering the wikitext is very
intensive, thus it should be cached.

> 3. $wgMessageCacheType *    // found no documentation
It refers to the interface messages. They are used all the time. It's a
good idea to cache them.

> == Question 2 ==
>
> What are the benefits and draw backs with using either of the two
> options below, after excluding the other options?
> * CACHE_DB
> * CACHE_ACCEL - (eAccelerator in my case)

CACHE_DB uses the database, and thus performs worse than a specific
cache accelerator. It may also produce db deadlocks.

CACHE_ACCEL seems a good solution for your case. If you had several
servers, they would have independent caches, that's why memcached is
preferred, but since it's on a single box, seems ok.