[Mediawiki-l] Cache strategy for a single small machine

Rolf Lampa [RIL] rolf.lampa at rilnet.com
Tue Jun 16 17:55:08 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Where can I find out best strategy for using the following Caches

1. $wgMainCacheType *
2. $wgParserCacheType *
3. $wgMessageCacheType *    // found no documentation
4. $wgUseFileCache
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Cache_variables)

I have some 800.000 pages (MW1.15) on a single CPU Linux/Ubuntu with 2
Gb RAM, DB on the same machine, currently using MyISAM tables.

Although reading about the cache variables I'm still not sure of what
exact difference there is between them.

== Question 1 ==

For example, should one use BOTH  the (#1) $wgMainCacheType and the (#2)
$wgParserCacheType, and possibly also server-side caching static pages
(#4) $wgUseFileCache ?

== Question 2 ==

What are the benefits and draw backs with using either of the two
options below, after excluding the other options?
* CACHE_DB
* CACHE_ACCEL - (eAccelerator in my case)

Which one seems to be preferred on my setup? Perhaps there's an overview
page about cache strategy (for my kind of server setup) which I have missed?

Regards,

// Rolf Lampa

*
    * CACHE_DB -
    * CACHE_MEMCACHED - memcached,
    * CACHE_ACCEL - eAccelerator, mmTurck or APC, whichever is available
    * CACHE_DBA - ... DBM-style database