[Mediawiki-l] mywiki.com without www => blank page

Manfred Kooistra manfred.kooistra at gmx.de
Wed Feb 11 16:56:54 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have just installed mediawiki on my site and it is running fine so
far, except this one strange behaviour, maybe you can help me:

When I access the site with "www", using <http://www.mywiki.com/>, I get
redirected to <http://mywiki.com/wiki/Mainpage> (without "www"), but
when I access the site without "www", using only <http://mywiki.com/>,
all I get is a blank page.

Accessing any content (e.g. <http://mywiki.com/wiki/Article>) with or
without "www" gives me the same page and works fine.

Why is that? Why redirection from with to without "www", and why a blank page?

I have installed mediawiki on a shared hosting server without root
access, using a .htaccess file with the following content (to use PHP 5
and for nice URLs redirecting from the installation in /w/ to the non-
existing /wiki/, copied unaltered from the installation instructions):

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^wiki/(.*)$ /w/index.php?title=$1 [PT,L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^wiki/*$ /w/index.php [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^/*$ /w/index.php [L,QSA]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~ Manfred