[Mediawiki-l] Multilingual Magic Words?

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 21:25:35 UTC 2009

John Thomson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I manage a private wiki for an organization whose users are both English
> and French.  They would like to be able to use some of the Date & Time
> variable Magic Words, having the results displayed in the users'
> language of choice.  So, using {{CURRENTDAY}} would produce either
> "Monday" or "Lundi", depending.  I was rather surprised to see that just
> changing my user's preferences did not force this translation
> automatically, as it does for the interface and navigation links.
>
> When my language preferences are set to either "En" or "Fr", using the
> Magic Word {{LOCALMONTHNAME}} produces "August", invariably.
>
> Do I have to create a new extension to handle this kind of
> functionality, or should this just work and I am suffering from some
> unknown pilot error?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Since they are content, they appear in the wiki content language.
If you want to have it shown in the users language, open
includes/parser/parser.php and at function getVariableValue change
$wgContLang to $wgLang (remember to do a global $wgContLang).
But you will need to disable caching there to avoid an "English" user
viewing the French months after a "French" user visited the page.