[Mediawiki-l] Multilingual Magic Words?

John Thomson john at stonewayconsulting.ca
Mon Aug 24 21:05:31 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I manage a private wiki for an organization whose users are both English
and French.  They would like to be able to use some of the Date & Time
variable Magic Words, having the results displayed in the users'
language of choice.  So, using {{CURRENTDAY}} would produce either
"Monday" or "Lundi", depending.  I was rather surprised to see that just
changing my user's preferences did not force this translation
automatically, as it does for the interface and navigation links.

When my language preferences are set to either "En" or "Fr", using the
Magic Word {{LOCALMONTHNAME}} produces "August", invariably.

Do I have to create a new extension to handle this kind of
functionality, or should this just work and I am suffering from some
unknown pilot error?

Thanks,

John