[Mediawiki-l] SpamBlacklist does not keep spambot away

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 30 08:09:19 UTC 2008

Bjorn Kassoe Andersen wrote:
> I have one or more spambots that keep coming back on a specific page, you
> can see it in action here:
> http://www.whatleadership.us/wiki/Special:Recentchanges
> (this is a test set up - the site is not ready for visitors yet)
>
> Tried to install SpamBlacklist. Used the simple setup suggested for
> localsettings.php (without including array). Did not get it to work.
>
> Also tried to protect the page with no result.
>
> The SpamBlacklist extension's talk page has old discussions about it not
> working, no apparent solution at hand.

I have some ideas for dealing with things like this, but I'd rather talk
about it on a mailing list that isn't publically archived, so that the bot
operators responsible can't trivially determine the nature of our filters
by searching for themselves in Google. The AntiBot extension in particular
needs some sort of private distribution system for plugins.

-- Tim Starling