[Mediawiki-l] maintenance/update.php

Hiram Clawson hiram at soe.ucsc.edu
Wed Sep 17 18:06:47 UTC 2008

Good Afternoon MediaWiki Fans:

I am puzzled by how update.php decides upon which database to
work on when it is run.  I have a number of wikis that are created
merely by making symlinks for the top-level directories and
files (except LocalSettings.php) to a master source wiki.  When
I run the update.php script in any of these sub-wikis the script
thinks it is working on the primary master source wiki database.
It doesn't seem to be reading the LocalSettings.php script to
fetch the database name.  The script is operated thusly:

$ cd sub-wiki-directory
$ php maintenance/update.php

Any clarification would be much appreciated.  Thanks,

--Hiram