[Mediawiki-l] status of permissions

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 21:12:27 UTC 2008

2008/11/14 Iv Ray <pobox at verysmall.org>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I spent the last weeks researching lightly on the permissions situation
> at MediaWiki and I found out the following -
>
> a) MediaWiki is not made for permissions, however
>
> b) MediaWiki starts to enter the corporate world, so extensions
> implementing permissions start to appear, but
>
> c) Because MediaWiki isn't uniformly developed (eg. not all reads go
> over a read class, etc.) this isn't working very well.

What is it precisely you are trying to do? MediaWiki has quite a
sophisticated permissions system, the main thing it can't do (at least
not reliably) is make different parts of a wiki visible to different
people (beyond a simple whitelist). Depending on exactly what you
need, you may be able to get the desired functionality using multiple
wikis. Also, as it sounds like you're just developing an internal wiki
for a small company, how much security do you need? Does it really
matter if people are able to read pages they ideally shouldn't be able
to?