[Mediawiki-l] status of permissions

Iv Ray pobox at verysmall.org
Fri Nov 14 19:42:55 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

I spent the last weeks researching lightly on the permissions situation
at MediaWiki and I found out the following -

a) MediaWiki is not made for permissions, however

b) MediaWiki starts to enter the corporate world, so extensions
implementing permissions start to appear, but

c) Because MediaWiki isn't uniformly developed (eg. not all reads go
over a read class, etc.) this isn't working very well.

While I fully respect a), I see the reasons behind b), because our
company (50 people), looking for a straight
almost-turn-key-out-of-the-box intranet solution, chose MediaWiki in
order to capitalize on the experience people have made with Wikipedia.

Having the treind, described in b), could somebody explain in a calm,
non-partisan way if c) is true and if there is a honest and stable mood
in this direction, or we should, generally speaking, forget it?

If the answer is positive, we are ready to contribute.

Regards,
Iv