[Mediawiki-l] How to get support for your office wiki

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 21:50:52 UTC 2008

On 29/01/2008, Emufarmers Sangly <emufarmers at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know there are varying numbers on the "market penetration" of different
> wiki software, but what data is available on the _internal_ use of such
> software (if only for determining whether MediaWiki is what companies jump
> right to, or whether they tend to opt for commercial software)?

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a reliable survey. I know
Confluence is popular in the corporate world. MediaWiki's main
advantage is looking and working just like Wikipedia, and it's not too
painful to sysadmins, but doesn't come in a shiny fluffy package.
MoinMoin is for geeks, but I'm missing all its extra text formatting
options (particularly being able to use ` ` instead of <tt></tt> when
writing about command-line stuff). Does anyone know of evidence that
isn't just anecdotal?

- d.