[Mediawiki-l] increasing speed

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 19:20:34 UTC 2008

On 21/01/2008, Georgi Hristozov <georgi at forkbomb.nl> wrote:
> ruud habets wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have succesfully moved my wiki site to another location and upgraded
> > from 1.6.5 to 1.11.0. The new site works well, except for the speed in
> > generating the pages. Even small pages take 10 seconds to be presented;
> > 30 seconds is no exception. In order to try to increase the speed I wonder:
> > - how can I determine what causes the delay (apache, php, memory, mysql?)
> > - if it's php, what caching software do you suggest I should use?
> >
> > thnx in advance
> >
> Hi,
>
> I would recommend you eAccelerator ( http://eaccelerator.net/ ).
> Although it's not the fastest one, the performance boost is big. And it
> is easy to use. ;) Good luck :)

Small pages taking 10 seconds to load seems excessive to me,
suggesting there is some underlying problem. Using an accelerator
doesn't seem like the ideal solution.

There is a profiler built into Mediawiki that should tell you where
things are running slowly, from there it might be possible to work out
what the problem is. I've never used it, but there are instructions
here: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_debug#Profiling