[Mediawiki-l] Geo Locating Mediawiki Articles

Samuel Richardson sam at richardson.co.nz
Fri Jan 4 04:34:26 UTC 2008

Hello List,

I'm putting together a wiki about the city I live in (Melbourne), the
wiki is located here:

http://www.melpedia.net/wiki/Main_Page

Many of the articles refer to places of business or locations in
Melbourne. I am using a Google maps plug in to display markers on a
map of Melbourne that relate to the page you are currently looking at,
however this is 100% suitable as you can only display one item at at
time.

An ideal solution would be to GeoCode all articles that relate to a
physical location. Then have a way of returning all GeoCoded pages
within x kilometers distance to a central point.

I have some theories on how to do this, however I would like any input
that the list has on GeoCoding with Mediawiki articles.

Thanks everyone!

Samuel