[Mediawiki-l] Printing Section Header Numbers

Christensen, Courtney ChristensenC at BATTELLE.ORG
Fri Aug 8 12:40:49 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mediawiki-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:mediawiki-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of John van
V.

What will this do?  "Add .tocnumber{display:none;}"

Will that remove the table of contents numbers?  Why would I want to do
that
if I want to add them to the main content section?

What will this do? "then put the numbers you want in your wiki headers"

I am not sure you understood my posting; could you please read it again?
would be very grateful for your input if you have knowledge about how
the
pages are formatted.

Thanks again in advance, John

Hi John,

What I understand you want from your first posting is to have the table
of contents numbered and have the sections of your wiki article numbered
as well.  What you really want is the automatic numbering from the TOC
to be applied to the headings of each of your sections.  I think that is
doable, but you also mentioned that in a lot of normal documentation you
put the numbers on the headers (i.e. ==1.0 Instructions==, ===1.1
Operating the Whatsamahicket===).  I think adding the numbering you want
yourself and causing the TOC numbers not to be displayed would be your
easiest bet.

Just like what Platonides said.

Do you really want to mess around with PHP to get auto-numbering on your
headers?  I think that is more error prone that the method I outlined.

-Courtney