[Mediawiki-l] Announce: MediaWiki book from O'Reilly

Daniel Barrett dbarrett at oreilly.com
Wed Apr 30 19:04:16 UTC 2008

I'm pleased to announce that a new O'Reilly book, titled "MediaWiki", will
be published later this year.  I am the author.  The focus is on practical
knowledge ("what you really need to know") to be an effective MediaWiki
reader, author, sysop, and site administrator.  It's not a comprehensive
reference; anything "comprehensive" would be outdated in six months....

The book is nearly complete, but if there are critical topics you'd like to
see covered, please email any suggestions to dbarrett at oreilly.com.

Also, I am looking for 2-3 people to join the book's technical review team,
to read the book in advance and offer comments and criticism.  This
includes beginners too!  If interested, please email me directly at
dbarrett at oreilly.com (do not hit "reply") and answer these questions:

1. Will you be available to review the book during the first two weeks of
June 2008?  (The actual review period will be one week long, and you'll
need to be reachable by email during that time.)

2. What is your level of expertise with MediaWiki? (Casual reader, article
writer, template creator, wiki sysop, MediaWiki site administrator,
extension developer, Wikimedia developer, etc.)

3. Do you have access to a MediaWiki system where you can install
extensions?

4. Would you be willing to install MediaWiki on a computer that isn't
running it today?  If so, would it run Linux, Windows, Macintosh, or other
(please describe it)?

Tech reviewers will receive a "thank you" in the book, a free copy of the
book, and a one-time payment.

Thanks very much.

Dan Barrett, dbarrett at oreilly.com
Author of:
- "Linux Pocket Guide"
- "SSH, the Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide"
- "Linux Security Cookbook"