[Mediawiki-l] mass upload

Ross McKay rosko at zeta.org.au
Wed Apr 23 02:30:34 UTC 2008

Stuart, Ryan (CIV) wrote:

>Is there a way to upload files en masse to wikipedia.org? My
>organization has been running its own MediaWiki installation but would
>like to move these files to Wikipedia. We have 771 pages and 156 image
>files in our current wiki.
>
>We'd like to start our own portal on the subject (net-centric warfare)
>as none currently exists.

As David notes, the images would be more welcome in Wikimedia Commons,
if appropriately licensed - http://commons.wikimedia.org/

For the text, you might be best looking at Wikibooks, Wikisource or
Wikiversity - depending on what these files are. Broadly:

* Wikibooks - text books - http://en.wikibooks.org/
* Wikisource - source texts - http://en.wikisource.org/
* Wikiversity - coursework - http://en.wikiversity.org/

Check out each to see which is the most appropriate host for your
information, as it will save you some heartache later (and save the
admins some work if they can avoid the shuffle between projects!)

At first blush, it sounds like you might want to summarise briefly for
Wikipedia, and publish the complete text as a Wikibook.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"If ye cannae see the bottom, dinnae complain if ye droon"