[Mediawiki-l] mass upload

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 21:02:17 UTC 2008

2008/4/22 Stuart, Ryan (CIV) <rlstuart at nps.edu>:

>  Is there a way to upload files en masse to wikipedia.org? My
>  organization has been running its own MediaWiki installation but would
>  like to move these files to Wikipedia. We have 771 pages and 156 image
>  files in our current wiki.
>  We'd like to start our own portal on the subject (net-centric warfare)
>  as none currently exists.
>  All advice appreciated, including whether there's a better way than a
>  portal.

Dumping wiki text en masse is likely to produce a backlash (of
silliness) from the English Wikipedia community. Start small. Or, say
"here's a bunch of text we're releasing as GFDL, have at it" and work
with the existing community to get stuff done with it - that's likely
to work very nicely.

An image donation dump to Commons would be most warmly welcomed -
anything under a proper free licence is suitable. For mass upload,
Commonist works quite well in my experience - it's a Java app that
will upload a directory of files. Worked fine for me on Linux when I
tried it. http://djini.de/software/commonist/

(cc'd to wikien-l for the text aspect and people who would be
interested in working with you, commons-l re: the image dump)

- d.