[Mediawiki-l] How to copy a page?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:05:23 UTC 2007

> 1. I got a page exported but could not import because I need to create a
> "sysop" group user to import.  But, it seems that I could not figure out
> how to create this "sysop" group" and an user in that group.  Can somebody
> waste a little time to help a new comer?

The account you created when you first installed Mediawiki should be a sysop.

> 2. Eventhough  I know that there are two camps of user IDs (one for wiki
> usage and one for mysql). I still get confused when reading the reference
> documentation.  It seems that people take it for granted assuming
> everybody is able to distinguish which camp of user IDs they are talking
> about.

The documentation isn't great in places, you're right. I think the
mysql account details are only needed in one place in
localsettings.php (and maybe in adminsettings.php). Anything else
talking about accounts is most likely talking about mediawiki
accounts.

> 3. Is there a good mediawiki book that I can find examples for basic (e.g.
> creating a page, edit a page, setting directory & files permissions, how
> to incorporate an extension...) operations?  Of course if there is a
> comprehensive list of mediawiki commands (I mean .php files) and their
> usages will be even better.

Not that I know of. Most of the documentation is either on
mediawiki.org or meta.wikimedia.org.