[Mediawiki-l] Login not working for one user. Stopped working yestserday.

Oliver Kohll oliver at gtwm.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 16:57:32 UTC 2007

I don't know much about Windows Active Directory, but is there a log
you can look in to view attempted logins? You could at least see
directly if the credentials are being passed to the LDAP service and
what the response is.

Oliver

On 10 Sep 2007, at 17:05, Russell, Elizabeth wrote:

> We have one user that was logged on fine yesterday morning, logged
> off,
> and has not been able to login again since then.   We are
> authenticating
> using the LDAP extension, to a Windows Active Directory setup.
> I can logon and logoff just fine, no problem.
> User said he has not changed is NT password in several weeks.... his
> logon works fine everywhere else.
>
> When he attempts to logon to the wiki he gets the Invalid password
> message.  In the past we've gotten this if you attempted to login and
> you were not included in the proper groups, but nothing has changed in
> the group listing and all appears okay there.  He has the same
> level of
> group membership that I do... although I have sysop for the wiki
> and he
> does not.
>
> I've looked at the tables in the database but don't see anything
> off-kilter in his userid.
>
> I've attempted to login myself with an invalid userid and I get the
> same
> error message and URL that he is getting "Login error:  incorrect
> password entered.  Please try again"  URL when the error message is
> displayed is:
> http://[wiki_hostname]/wiki-isproc/index.php?
> title=Special:Userlogin&act
> ion=submitlogin&type=login&returnto=Main_Page   (not accessible
> from the
> Internet).
>
> There are no new entries in error_log when this happens, and I
> don't see
> anything odd in access_log either.  I had the user delete cookies and
> history files this AM, but it did not change the symptoms at all.
> Can
> anyone point me in the irght direction on this?    Thanks, Beth
> Russell
>
> !DSPAM:505,46e56bd9293071288311185!

oliver at gtwm.co.uk / 0845 456 1810 / 07814 828608
The Old Bank, 4 Ravenhill Rd, Swansea SA5 5AW, UK

NOTE
No contracts may be concluded on behalf of GT webMarque by means of e-
mail
communications. The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the
intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been addressed;
it may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than this addressee,
nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error please return to
sender via e-mail.

DISCLAIMER
Please note that neither GT webMarque Ltd nor the sender accept any
responsibility for viruses transmitted via e-mail. It is your
responsibility to scan attachments (if any).