[Mediawiki-l] New install of 1.10.1 vs. upgrade from 1.5

Minute Electron minuteelectron at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 2 12:29:26 UTC 2007

On 9/2/07, Chris Knust <chris at knust-net.de> wrote:
> Good morning all,
>
> my apologies for a stupid but probably easy to answer question.
>
> I currently run MediaWiki 1.5.0; I seem to understand that I could not
> even do a direct upgrade to 1.10.1 but would have to make intermediate
> upgrades.
> However, I would like to move from a directory in my domain to a
> subdomain anyways so I thought I could skip the intermediate steps by
> doing the following:
>
> - Full backup of the current Wiki
>
> - Disconnect of the current Wiki to the MySQL database
>
> - New installation of MediaWiki 1.10.1 at the subdomain (with all the
> necessary steps such as generating folders etc.), referencing my MySQL
> database
>
> - Upload the MySql database dump (made with mysqldumper) if necessary
>
> I´d appreciate any hint if I have a substantial error in this plan.
> Thanks so much, best regards
> Chris

It is perfectly possible to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.10.1 - MediaWiki has
been designed with that in mind and it can easily be upgraded from any
version to any other version.

With regards to switching to a subdomain, there should be very little
difficulties with that as all that is necessary is to move the files
to the directory for that subdomain. MediaWiki will require no extra
configuration unless you have made unlikely modifications to your
LocalSettings.php file.

--
MinuteElectron.
http://my.brlcad.org/~MinuteElectron/