[Mediawiki-l] hiding and sharing articles/namespaces to the public

revansx at cox.net revansx at cox.net
Wed May 30 13:38:57 UTC 2007

Its is good to know that the idea is workable. However, Instead of writing an extension, I also considered setting-up an second wiki whose MySQL database was just daily replication of the private one. Then I could just modify the common skins code to look for a "magic word" which will allow the page to render. This solution is closer to what my current programming strengths are. How does this aproach sound to the group?

--- Does it pass the experts ho-ho, ha-ha test?

> Don't refer to yourself as "we"  :)  Yes, you can.

Agreed!  :-) --- What I should have said is: "I will", but only after I am convinced that it hasn't been done yet and that the group affirms its value and approves of the approach. Before I begin what would be a serious endeavor like this (for me, that is), I really wanted like to do a little more research here in the list; which, imho, is one of the many things this group is good for (heh heh, I'm referring to the recent post on that topic) by polling the folks who really have their pulse on the wiki development big-picture. I'm not interested in programming for the sake of programming or for my own edification - I'm interested in working towards a functional goal. All in all, Michael, your reply is very positive and affirming. Thank you. However, I noticed that you were careful not to state weather or not this (an extension for pushing updates to another wiki) has been done already, which is the heart of my question.

What I'm hoping for is a consensus about what is the "ideal" approach to achieving the stated functionality.

Thanks gang,
- Rich (revansx)