[Mediawiki-l] Markdown

Simon Dorfman emaillists at simondorfman.com
Thu May 24 05:17:21 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'd like to extend MediaWiki to work with the Markdown Extra syntax (
http://www.michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/ ).

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know of anyone else who has already started work on something
like this? (I did some searching, but didn't find anything.)

2. Any ideas on how to implement this?

Because Markdown Extra is written in PHP, you'd think it would be pretty
easy to bolt this in.  The tricky part is that I'd like be able to just
write pages in Markdown Extra syntax but still have double brackets create
new pages.  One idea is to write an extension and put the Markdown Extra
stuff between XML-style tags: <markdown> .... </markdown>.  But I think that
wouldn't allow the creation of new wikipage links inside those tags.  So
maybe it would make sense to write something that would convert the
mediawiki text into markdown at the time of editing?

Thanks,
Simon