[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Wed May 23 12:36:15 UTC 2007

(Oh heck, why not quit grousing and at last archive my challenges here
by cutting them into smaller posts that do fit within the
mediawiki-l at lists.wikimedia.org criteria?)

== Still looking for an accurate, contemporaneous "MediaWiki
Installation Manual" ==

Peter Blaise says: I cannot seem to successfully and predictably
contribute to http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Contents/To_do or
other MediaWiki.org pages (Pop-up blocker?  Cookies?  Local or remote
synch problems?  Admin lock outs?  Who knows?).  So, I created one here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Peterblaise ... if I can only
successfully log in more than once!

I look forward to anyone else trying to document the various roads to
success implementing MediaWikis.  As of 2007-05-18 there is no
discussion on MediaWiki yet at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Contents/To_do ?!?

There is much fragmentation:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Installation

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Manual

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Contents

... and so on.  No one has taken ownership (I know, ownership is a Wiki
no-no) of structuring a comprehensive Installation manual.  And since I
can't seem to successfully and predictably contribute anywhere else on
MediaWiki.org except at "my own"
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Peterblaise then I can't lend a hand.
Even at the old http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents I quote":
"For Installers ... nothing yet?"

Sadly, I was officially unwelcomed here (speaking of ownership) once
before, but I'll try again.

As I experience it:

- The beauty of MediaWiki is that everyone can contribute (except me!).

- The problems with MediaWiki.org are that almost no one actually does
contribute, and when they do, it so horribly disorganized that it
doesn't matter much.

However, I suggest that people NOT initially respond to me here ...

Instead, if you think you *know* some answers, then first *try to find
those answers at http://www.mediawiki.org/* ... and:

- If you do find answers at MediaWiki,org, then reply here with *links*.

- If you cannot find answers on MediaWiki.org, then first *create
answers there*... and only after that, reply here with *links*.

Thanks!

- Peter Blaise