[Mediawiki-l] Advanced redirect... doesn't work

Rolf Lampa rolf.lampa at rilnet.com
Tue May 22 22:49:39 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I just tried to make a somewhat advanced kind of redirect. I used a
combination of interwiki-code, a bit of "hard coded" title text plus one
part of the target title name defined using a template, like so:

    #REDIRECT [[iw-code:BlahBlah/{{template.default.locator}}]]

Unfortunately the above redirect doesn't work.  When I introduced the
template part of the target title ( "{{template.default.locator}}" ) it
no longer works.  It worked fine, though, while I had the entire target
title name hard coded, like so:

    #REDIRECT [[iw-code:BlahBlah/DefaultTitle]]

*Conclusion*: the template obviously isn't expanded before the target
address is evaluated (using MW 1.9.3).

This is unfortunate because it means that I cannot "globally" control
(redirect) a certain "locator-link" via the template mechanism. I use a
separate page as a "standard link" in a group of pages used to represent
an "object" (one page = one "attribute").

Is there anyone else who also needs this kind of link, I mean, so it
might be taken under consideration as something that really really needs
to be fixed...?  =)

Regards,

// Rolf Lampa