[Mediawiki-l] discrepancy between article count on "Special:Allpages" and "Special:Statistics"

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:48:34 UTC 2007

On 23/03/07, Dr. Johannes Zellner <johannes at zellner.org> wrote:
> there seems to be a rather big difference between the article count on
> the Special:Allpages and Special:Statistics pages. I observed something
> like more than 50 pages on Special:Allpages but Special:Statistics states
> only an article count of 29 pages. As the articles shown on
> Special:Allpages are actually there, I think the count given on
> Special:Statistics seems to be (terribly) wrong. Is there a way to let
> Special:Statistics show the correct article count?

Special:Statistics pulls from the statistics table which is updated
from MediaWiki's internal definition of what an article is:

* main namespace
* not a redirect
* contains at least one internal link

Special:Allpages (default access) just lists all pages in the main
namespace. Therefore, Special:Statistics is arguably more accurate.

Rob Church