[Mediawiki-l] Calendars for MW?

Mike Maughan mike.maughan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:00:15 UTC 2007

On 12/03/07, Rob Church <robchur at gmail.com> wrote:

> My point was rather hastily made, but it does stem off a classic
> irritation I have - and it's the one that is caused by people picking
> MediaWiki when it's not appropriate for their needs.

[snippage etc]

The last thing I want to engage in here is an energetic debate about the Tao
of MediaWiki :)

I am in a situation arrived at via several pragmatic choices, in that the
wiki in question is becoming a shared home for a social group (membership is
small - less than 20 - but worldwide) to which I have belonged for some 14
years.

I have been looking at wikis for some time and am very keen to use them
further.  I have some strong development ideas for building upon a wiki
platform but do need to learn more about the practicalities of wiki
management & development, so by combining these objectives with the above
need I have a good opportunity.

I rented a raw Debian linux virtual server with the intention of playing
wiki until I found one that best fitted my model.  What I have learned so
far is that my Unix skills are way too out of date for such a project
without considerable work, and I don't actually want to become a Linux
sysadmin again.  I accordingly went looking for a 'leg up' and was
recommended to dreamhost, who happens to offer MW as a one-click install.
Answer to a maiden's prayer ...

So whether MW is truly 'appropriate' to my needs, or merely 'sufficiently
functional, convenient & available' is perhaps another debate, but that is
why I am where I am and asking for more experienced users' opinions about MW
& its extensions.

--
Regards, Mike