[Mediawiki-l] Calendars for MW?

Ian Smith ismith at good.com
Mon Mar 12 18:57:54 UTC 2007

Rob Church exclaimed:

> If MediaWiki doesn't do what you want, *and there is something which
> does, or is more likely to*, then pick the right software for the job!

And for those wondering what that might be, you might want to glance
over TikiWiki:

	http://tikiwiki.org/

It's a wiki *plus* workflow *plus* trackers *plus* maps *plus* surveys
*plus* quizzes *plus* calendar *plus* forums *plus* image galleries
*plus* blogs *plus* newsletters *plus* .... etc. etc. etc.

I personally use MediaWiki because a plain (but world-class) wiki engine
is *almost* what I want, and I'm prepared to do the work to make it go
the extra few yards.  For people who want a wiki plus tons of other
stuff, all pre-packaged and ready to go, TikiWiki looks like a worthy
candidate.  MediaWiki's extensibility is great, but if you're trying to
develop a site where the wiki is only a small part of the eventual
software, then it's probably the wrong way to go.

(I'm sure there are others, too, but TikiWiki is one I happened to come
across.  I haven't tried it, use at your own risk, yadda yadda yadda.)

Ian