[Mediawiki-l] Extension idea

Markus Krötzsch mak at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jun 6 06:31:36 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 05 June 2007 17:37, Leonardo de Oliveira Costa wrote:
> Hi all,
> For months i'm trying to catalog all my city , that it's not big. To
> catalog the city (Companys, public places, Houses to sell and rent)  i'm
> using mediawiki that in my opinion is the best in my case. Looking
> extensions that could help me in my task i didn't find nothing specific
> for this. My idea will be have an easy way to add information in a
> window with pre-definied fields. This could be something like what
> www.wikicompany.org did. Example:
> http://wikicompany.org/wiki/Special:WCPublish
>  And when saved could appear in a Map, to add the map script i think
> could be used www.openlayers.org that can use sources of maps from
> google, nasa, microsoft, yahoo and..
> seeing Semantic mediawiki i think this could be great to have some
> categorization  when filter results to appear in Map. I think could have
> advanced filter mechanism.
> Example: if I select House to sell and select 2 bedrooms, i'll see all
> houses to sell with 2 bedrooms. If i select Company, select kind:
> Supermarket and city: New york, i'll see all supermarkets located in new
> york. But if i let city field blank, i'll see all supermarket that exist
> on database.
> I don't know develop, but if someone would like to help me with this.
> I'll be helpful. Really would like this.

Interesting. Semantic MediaWiki currently has no map visualisations, but it
can store and maintain the data that you would need. What would then be
missing is a frontend of your specific liking, which probably involves some
JavaScript and PHP development on your side. But Semantic MediaWiki in
principle can store and supply the information and filter it for your
according to various criteria.

We also will probably have a map output at some time, but such a high level of
interaction (clicking on the map to change the filter settings) is not
planned right now. If you go forward in this direction, it would be nice if
you could keep us up-to-date with your developments, so that we do not
duplicate our efforts needlessly. for very concrete implementation plans we
can also provide some support (use our development mailing list).

If you look for simple form-based mechanisms of creating pages, you could also
have a look at DBPedia and the form-extension they use to add information to
a highly structured Semantic MediaWiki installation. I think Yaron Koren also
released this code to the public domain.

Regards,

Markus