[Mediawiki-l] PageSecurity and 1.9

Air Force CGOC Webmaster webmaster at afcgoc.org
Sat Jan 27 16:55:41 UTC 2007

Rob Church wrote:
> On 27/01/07, Fernando Correia <fernandoacorreia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think this exchange of ideas is very good. I hope it can evolve and help
>> create a really secure  access control system for MediaWiki.
>>

> (sigh)
>
> Don't use a wiki if you want a secure access-controlled environment.
> Use a proper CMS or a document management system.
>

> Rob Church

I'm definitely not looking for a super secure access-controlled
environment.  I'm building a public web page with multiple editors, and
want to prevent those editors from accidentally or intentionally
overwriting portions of the site they aren't responsible for.  The Wiki
platform is perfect for what we want, with an extension like
PageSecurity (which unfortunately is not available for 1.9 yet) or Group
Based Access Control (which I'm looking at now) to provide basic editing
protection.

I'm definitely learning a lot from this debate - thanks for the info!

--
1st Lt Wayne "Mike" Straw
Air Force CGOC Webmaster
webmaster at afcgoc.org