[Mediawiki-l] Recent PHP upgrade killed Mediawiki?

Tim Hogan tim at hoganzoo.com
Wed Jan 3 14:51:28 UTC 2007

Thank you Matt for pointing me in the right direction.  Though I don't
have a solution I do have a work around.

To start with I do not run the ports version of mediawiki.  I use the
tar-ball distro from mediawiki's web site.  I upgraded my system using
the portupgrade tool and I too have see problems with the order that
portupgrade compiles packages.  In this case however the problem child
turned out to be the new version of eAccelerator (v0.9.5).  I have used
eAccelerator for so long without any issues that I totally forgot about
it.  I tried to recompile eAccelerator after all of the other updates
were complete and that mad no difference.  It appears that there is some
issue with mediawiki, php v5.2.0, and eAccelerator v.0.9.5.  Seeing that
none of my other php applications are having an issue I am guessing that
there is a bug somewhere in mediawiki's script that checks to see if you
are logged in or not.  After out many different ideas my workaround
ended up being to add the following in my .htaccess file in my mediawiki
directory;

php_value eaccelerator.filter "*.php
!/data/webapps/mediawiki-1.8.2/includes/*.php"

Not sure how that allows it to work as I still see mediawiki's php
scripts being processed by eAccelerator, but it's working so I am not
going to complain :)

Thanks again Matt  and thanks to everyone else who gave me another idea
to try.

Tim