[Mediawiki-l] how to organize wiki content

Markus Krötzsch mak at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Dec 12 19:03:55 UTC 2007

On Freitag, 7. Dezember 2007, Kimon Andreou wrote:
> I agree.
> That's why I'm anxiously awaiting the stable release of SemanticWiki (
> http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki)
> If you're not running a production system, you may want to use the current
> release candidate

Yep, we are running late. I hope to get a feature-complete RC3 out before the
holidays ...

Anyway a note on "finding things easily in a wiki": Many users complaining
about not finding things in wikis expect some kind of miraculous wiki
intelligence to find things for them. But organising stuff often also needs
much work, and someone making an effort to set up initial structures and to
maintain them in spite of all user attempts to mess things up again ;-)

After that, you can in principle have all kinds of search interfaces, though
SMW mainly provides simple browsers, and a query language that knowledgable
editors can use to pre-create queries for normal readers (by just inserting
them into the wiki). But there are many more options, e.g. as Yaron Koren
just did in his "Semantic Drilldown" extension [1] (which focusses on the
strongly structured end of the semantic wiki spectrum, but is quite cool
already [2]; especially when considering that this whole site works like a
custom DB-based content management portal, but is in fact just using
MediaWiki+extensions and a few well-built templates and queries; not sure
whether it already supports the recent SMW-RCs).

Cheers,

Markus

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Drilldown
[2] http://discoursedb.org/wiki/Special:ViewData