[Mediawiki-l] how to organize wiki content

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Fri Dec 7 23:22:57 UTC 2007

> That's a great idea.  But now we are back to an even more fundamental
> difficulty. I'm trying to convert users from their current paradigm of
> sharing information via attached WORD DOCs in email to large lists of
> readers, to keeping their shared documents in the wiki.  The barest hint
> of trying to learn any new markup is a stumbling block to begin with.
> Attempting to enforce semantic markup conventions in a random group of
> users seems impossible without a dedicated team of annotators.
>
> It is really tough trying to get folks to share information.
>
> --Hiram

Yes, the barriers are very low, but pick the average person, and they are
very high indeed. Most wiki users are self-selected. Asking a group of a
thousand to do it the wiki way gets you about 10 folks. And the damn DOC
files don't do well when you paste them into a wiki. If they are
employees, give a 1% pay raise to those who use the wiki, and leave it up
to them which they use. Everyone should have a choice in life...

Fred