[Mediawiki-l] max key length is 1000 bytes

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 3 08:34:02 UTC 2007

rek2GNU/Linux wrote:
[snip]
> ) ENGINE=InnoDB, DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8
> " failed with error code "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes (localhost)".

Probably your MySQL has InnoDB disabled, so it's falling back to MyISAM,
and the key length limit is too small.

If this is an older version, can you try again with 1.10.1? The new
installer code is supposed to be handling that case correctly, iirc.

Alternatively, check your my.cnf and/or the compile options for mysql
and make sure InnoDB support is enabled and available.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)