[Mediawiki-l] max key length is 1000 bytes

rek2 GNU/Linux LO LO LO rek2 at binaryfreedom.info
Fri Aug 3 18:01:40 UTC 2007

Brion Vibber wrote:
> rek2GNU/Linux wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> ) ENGINE=InnoDB, DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8
>> " failed with error code "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes (localhost)".
>>

> Probably your MySQL has InnoDB disabled, so it's falling back to MyISAM,
> and the key length limit is too small.
>
> If this is an older version, can you try again with 1.10.1? The new
> installer code is supposed to be handling that case correctly, iirc.
>
> Alternatively, check your my.cnf and/or the compile options for mysql
> and make sure InnoDB support is enabled and available.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)

Hi, thanks so much for your response I appreciate it,
ok I have check if I have InnoDB disable but does not looks like I do..

 the following is the InnoDB configuration
# if you wish to disable innodb instead
# uncomment just the next line
#skip-innodb
#
# the rest of the innodb config follows:
# don't eat too much memory, we're trying to be safe on 64Mb boxes
# you might want to bump this up a bit on boxes with more RAM
innodb_buffer_pool_size = 26M
# this is the default, increase it if you have lots of tables
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 3M
#
# i'd like to use /var/lib/mysql/innodb, but that is seen as a database :-(
# and upstream wants things to be under /var/lib/mysql/, so that's the route
# we have to take for the moment
#innodb_data_home_dir           = /var/lib/mysql/
#innodb_log_arch_dir            = /var/lib/mysql/
#innodb_log_group_home_dir      = /var/lib/mysql/
# you may wish to change this size to be more suitable for your system
# the max is there to avoid run-away growth on your machine
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend:max:128M
# we keep this at around 25% of of innodb_buffer_pool_size
# sensible values range from 1MB to
(1/innodb_log_files_in_group*innodb_buffer_pool_size)
innodb_log_file_size = 5M
# this is the default, increase it if you have very large transactions
going on
innodb_log_buffer_size = 8M
# this is the default and won't hurt you
# you shouldn't need to tweak it
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=2
# see the innodb config docs, the other options are not always safe
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 1
innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 50

So I am looking at the right place?
if I am, and this is not the issue, then I should upgrade?
or who can I check that I am using InnoDB on this tables by default?
is possible that I am not?

also I don't think there is an ebuild for gentoo yet for the newer
version the last one is the one I am running unfortunately
so I may try with the source code and see what happens after you confirm
with me that I am using InnoDB.

Thanks again

> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> MediaWiki-l en lists.wikimedia.org