[Mediawiki-l] Internal error - Redirect loop detected!

Charlie Normand charlienormand at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:05:52 UTC 2007

  Using the current setup
php-5.2.1  (with mysql and LDAP extension only)
iis 6  cgi
mysql-5.0.27
mediawiki-1.9.3 (+LDAP extension for use with AD)
Windows 2003

Client = IE6

Everything works fine (including editing by clicking the 'edit' tab link
next to article link).  But as soon as I try clicking on an 'inline' edit
link and try to submit a subsection edit.  I get the following error
message.

Internal error
Redirect loop detected!

This means the wiki got confused about what page was requested; this
sometimes happens when moving a wiki to a new server or changing the server
configuration.

Your web server was detected as possibly not supporting URL path components
(PATH_INFO) correctly; check your LocalSettings.php for a customized
$wgArticlePath setting and/or toggle $wgUsePathInfo to true.

Or sometimes instead just a HTTP 500 depending on which computer I look
from.

The system still commits the change to the backend database but the page
never returns.

(Bizarrly I think it works fine in Firefox I believe)

I have tried changing to isapi instead of cgi but this doesn't make things
any better (in fact it breaks the LDAP plugin)

This is the contents of my php.ini file and there is nothing special or out
of the ordinary in my LocalSettings.php (although I can attach it if anyone
thinks it is a critical factor?)

[PHP]
cgi.force_redirect=0
extension_dir="C:\Program Files\PHP\ext"
[PHP_LDAP]
extension=php_ldap.dll
[PHP_MYSQL]
extension=php_mysql.dll

I have tried google and the mailing list archive and tried following the
directions of the error message w.r.t changes in LocalSettings.php but with
no avail.

The other odd thing is the very same software installations on a (close to
identical) QA server work fine, it's just on this production box where we
have this trouble.

Please please help.

Thanks,

Charlie