[Mediawiki-l] A more advanced editing toolbar

Jack D. Pond jack.pond at psitex.com
Sat Apr 14 12:54:58 UTC 2007

I feel bad about my last post - not enough info. These steps are to create a
global toolbar for all your users on the wiki.

If you want to create just one for yourself, you would follow these
instructions but in step 3, you would enter User:[yourname]/[yourskin].js -
example: 'User:MyName/monobook.js'.

Since I had so much trouble on this issue, here's a failproof newb shorcut
(as long as you have sysop privileges on your wiki) for setting up a global
editing toolbar.  This isn't meant to be your final solution, but if you
understand a little about MediaWiki and JavaScript, could get you pointed in
the right direction.

1. Go to http://wiki.montcopa.org/MediaWiki/Extraeditbuttons.txt
2. Select all and copy the entire code
3. Enter MediaWiki:common.js into your search area on your wiki (you may
need sysop privileges)
4. If the code doesn't exist, go in and create new page by clicking 'Edit'
tab.  If it already exists, be careful - you may not want to overwrite what
you already have.
5. Paste code from step 1 into edit box
6. Save Page
7. Flush your local browser cache:
	Mozilla / Firefox / Safari: hold down <Shift> while clicking
<Reload>, or press <Ctrl-Shift-R> (<Cmd-Shift-R> on Apple Mac);
	IE: hold <Ctrl> while clicking <Refresh>, or press <Ctrl-F5>;
	Konqueror: simply click the <Reload> button, or press <F5>;
	Opera users may need to completely clear their cache in Tools→
Preferences''.
8. Go in and edit a page, the new Edit buttons should appear

Jack D. Pond

"Honor lies in honest toil." -- Grover Cleveland.(1837-1908)