[Mediawiki-l] [Foundation-l] Red category link is unhelpful

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 11:56:25 UTC 2007

Rob Church wrote:
> A change to the established, existing behaviour, "because we can" will
> confuse and irritate people who have become accustomed to how
> MediaWiki "just works", so the default *should* be to continue as
> normal.
>

> Rob Church

Only if they click on red links more times to create the category pages
than to see articles on the inexistent category. If they do the later
they're doing an extra click.
If it is changed, then the extra click will be to create it, not to see
the articles.
However, if it is changed, the red links should be changed to "a
different red" to add a visual difference, not only explaining red links
on pages do X, red links on category do Y... (then even more confusing
if it's reverted).

A similar <s>problem</s>feature which annoys me are red image links.
When i click on it i want to go to the image page, where i have nice
links to see the delete log, undelete it and know why this image
"disappeared".. Not uploading it! (for which the Image: have links, anyway)
Alas, "The feature was added for a reason (making it easier and more
consistent to upload), and will stay without some good reason."