[Mediawiki-l] Users can't create accounts

Will Harmon will.harmon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 16:21:13 UTC 2006

Hello all,

Sorry if this question has been beat to death; but I've scoured the Inet in
search of answers and haven't found any. I've installed MediWiki 1.5 without
any problems. However, I'm discovering that users are not able to create
accounts in order to use the wiki. I'm using these entries in the
localsettings.php:

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;

Currently when a users sees the main page and tries to edit anything, they
are re-directed to a login page. But when a username and password (and
password again for new users) is entered, the error "You have not specified
a valid user name".

If anyone can, please pass along any suggestions or solutions.

Thanks,

Will