[Mediawiki-l] corporate wiki: success factors?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 23:42:30 UTC 2006

On 27/11/06, Ricardo Rodríguez - Your XEN ICT Team <webmaster at xen.net> wrote:

> I also agree with Fernando: some content could act as a trigger for participation. In my case these "useful contents" have a clear end: a paper sent to a publisher, lets say, for instance, Science. So the full example must include how it is expected the content developed within the wiki environment can be exported to the required format. That is why I am concern about this issue. Please, David, have you any experience with this particular? Thanks.

I don't with this particular case. I suppose an academic paper could
be co-developed via a wiki page quite well - start from notes and end
up with a coherent and clearly-written paper.

(I know people who write their personal websites on wiki software,
simply because it's less work than coding HTML by hand.)

One of the best keys to getting a wiki used is to use it as a better
substitute for a group whiteboard or something. As I said, it's good
for notes on common in-house business software and how to install it
and get it to do particular things.

Essentially: find some function that a webpage anyone can edit would
be a decent solution for.

> I understand that I am trying to use a tool created for free creation/free access of contents to developed proprietary knowledge. But this is the way things work in a huge number of places and to cope with this situations the only way to promote the collaboration, share of knowledge and production of freely accessible information/knowledge.

It's just a collaborative editing environment for text. Any process
that could benefit from that could benefit from a wiki page.

- d.