[Mediawiki-l] Namespaces v Categories

Tim Ware tim at hyperarts.com
Mon Nov 6 02:48:08 UTC 2006

> Why use namespaces for this?
>
> It seems to me that namespaces are intended for pages that are
> different
> in behaviour (i.e., permissions, styles and such), not for differences
> in content.
>
> On my site (http://www.novaroma.org/) I use namespaces for language
> switching; the reason for that is that macros like PAGENAME can
> be used for inter-language links to the equivalent article.

Also, each of the five novels has an alphabetical guide, A-Z, and I
thought I could solve the conflicts with namespace, but it appears
not to really help in that regard at all. Now, instead of each alpha
page having the name, eg, ATD - A, it's called ATD:A.

Tim

 > Thanks, This was all very clear. Now that I've created the namespace
 > "ATD", I assume I can go to pages named, say, "ATD_-_A" and move/
 > rename them to "ATD:A" which will put that page in the namespace ATD,
 > yes? I did this, but the title of the page now shows "ATD:A", that
 > is, it shows the namespace and the page name. Is there a way not to
 > show the namespace in the main header?
 >
 > Also, I created a namespace "Jack" and made it not searchable, in
 > LocalSettings.php, but when I search for a file called "create" which
 > I had created in the main namespace but moved to "Tim:create", it
 > still turns up in the search even though I made searching that
 > namespace "false". Maybe I have to quit the browser or something?
 >
 >  > In a message dated 11/5/2006 11:42:44 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
 >  > tim at hyperarts.com writes:
 >  >
 >  > If  someone could point me to what the additions would be in
 >  > LocalSettings.php, that'd be great.
 >  > Was this page not helpful? Or perhaps you didn't find it yet
 >  > _http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Custom_namespaces_
 >  > (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Custom_namespaces)
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > ...

hucke at cynico.net - http://www.graveyards.com

-"Apes don't read philosophy."
-"Yes they do, Otto, they just don't understand it! Let me correct
you on a few things: Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of
Buddhism is not 'every man for himself'. And the London Underground is
not a political movement!  Those are all mistakes. I looked them up."
                 -from "A Fish Called Wanda"