[Mediawiki-l] Namespaces v Categories

CoyoteTrexl at aol.com CoyoteTrexl at aol.com
Mon Nov 6 06:17:39 UTC 2006

In a message dated 11/5/2006 5:58:53 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
tim at hyperarts.com writes:

Also, I  created a namespace "Jack" and made it not searchable, in
LocalSettings.php, but when I search for a file called "create"  which
I had created in the main namespace but moved to "Tim:create",  it
still turns up in the search even though I made searching  that
namespace "false". Maybe I have to quit the browser or  something?

The surest way to keep separate areas with no search overlap would be to  run
separate wikis from the same server. I can't offer any expertise on how to
run them -- you might need to load entirely separate file installations in
different directories, but I know you would need separate databases.

It's probably true that the intent for which namespace was created will  tend
to show in how it performs as a feature. I have not yet studied it  well
enough to say for sure, but search and recent changes might be two areas  where
namespaces simply aren't well differentiated. In general, that's as far as
design intent matters, though. If it works for another purpose than for which it
was created, there's no reason not to apply it for that other purpose. If a
person has the skill, they can hack it to fit their purpose, but there are
risks. There's no doubt that it is technically possible to configure a search to
only explore an individual namespace, but it might require some coding. A
user might find it necessary to reapply their hacks to each new version if they
keep versions up to date.