[Mediawiki-l] Changing the name of the front page, a few site/page name-related other questions.

Ken McDonald ken at pixologic.com
Sat May 27 03:49:08 UTC 2006

Our front page won't be named "Main_Page", but "Welcome to...". Is there
a way to change MW's "default" page? I'm guessing that moving the Main
Page to the page name we want to show up would write in an automatic
redirect, so that opening the site would open Main_Page, which would
then redirect to "Welcome to..."--but I don't know for sure (and don't
want to find out the hard way that it doesn't work!), and am also
wondering if there's a "better" way. I poked around in the
DefaultSettings.php and did searches on it, but the only hits I found
weren't relevant.

Also, a question that may or many not be relevant to MW, but since
you're reading :-) . . . the entry URL for the site is currently
http://www.myserver.com/site which opens up the main page. However,
http://www.myserver.com shows the contents of the directory the holds
the site directory. We certainly want that blocked, and if possible
(since for the time being the wiki is the only thing that will be
running at that site) would like a reference to http://www.myserver.com
to automatically open the front page of the wiki.

I've tried putting in a .htaccess denying all access into 'site''s
parent directory (just copied the one in "maintenance") so that
http://www.myserver.com/ would be blocked, but that doesn't seem to
work--do I need to restart the Apache server? And is a redirect via
.htaccess the simplest way to achieve the desired redirect from the site
name to the wiki?

As always, many thanks,
Ken