[Mediawiki-l] math: Failed to parse (unknown error)

Sonali Tamhankar stamhankar01 at gw.hamline.edu
Thu Jun 8 22:23:55 UTC 2006

Thank you, Rob.

Okay, here's something. The command you suggested did not work as it
is. However, after a bit of tweaking, I got it to create a .png file
in the images/math directory. Here is what I needed to change:

1) sudo apache --> sudo -u apache. This is trivial.

2) texvc --> ./texvc. It gave me a message: "sudo: ignoring `texvc'
found in '.'
Use `sudo ./texvc' if this is the `texvc' you wish to run." otherwise.

3) /mediawiki/images/tmp --> /var/www/mediawiki/images/tmp, and
similarly for math.

With these changes, it worked. The command "sudo -u apache ./texvc
/var/www/mediawiki/images/tmp /var/www/mediawiki/images/math "y=x+2"
iso-8859-1" created a .png file in the math directory. How do I see a
.png file, by the way?

I am sure this is hinting at a resolution of the problem, but I am not
sure what it is saying. :-) I tried modifying the LocalSettings.php
file in the obvious ways:

1) Tried adding math directory to the path: Changed "ini_set(
"include_path", ".:$IP:$IP/includes:$IP/languages" );" to "ini_set(
"include_path", ".:$IP:$IP/includes:$IP/languages:$IP/math" );" This
did not work.

2) Just for the heck of it, tried changing $wgScriptPath from
/mediawiki to /var/www/mediawiki, but this generated some errors when
I tried to save a page on the wiki, so I changed that back.

Any other suggestions what I can try?

Thanks again,
- Sonali.