[Mediawiki-l] Re: emplates

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Mon Jan 30 21:59:34 UTC 2006

> From: Rowan Collins <rowan.collins at gmail.com>
>
> On 30/01/06, Mauro do Carmo <mauro at carmo.ws> wrote:
>> My question is: If I don't want those links, can I include just
>> part of this
>> page as template?
>>
>> Or in order words: Can I say how many lines I want to be included
>> in other page
>> using 'referring to the template'?
>
> Well, in recent versions (possibly only 1.6alpha, though it may be in
> 1.5 as well) you can use <noinclude> and <includeonly> tags to enclose
> parts of a template you only want displayed when viewing it
> directly...

Works in 1.5.4, at least.

BTW: this is WONDERFUL for documenting templates! I used to document
templates on the Talk page, but this made it harder for occasional
users to figure out. Here's a couple examples:

     http://www.ecoreality.org/wiki/Template:Decision
     http://www.ecoreality.org/wiki/Template:Coop_act

:::: This `telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously
considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of
no value to us. -- Western Union internal memo, 1876. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van ::::