[Mediawiki-l] Re: Populating the help namespace

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Jan 17 19:17:43 UTC 2006

> From: Terry Auspitz <mediawiki-l at clubjuggle.com>
>
> I'm hopeful that someone
> can explain to me, in reasonably small words, how to properly populate
> the "Help" namespace on my new Wiki.

I went through that on one site, and decided it wasn't worth the
effort. There are too many "leaves"!

Luckily, there are relatively few "branches" from which those leaves
spring, and you can easily find them all in the MediaWiki namespace.
I changed each one to point to Meta -- changing "Help:Editing" to
"Meta:Help:Editing", and all is swell. (Oh, I think I hand to turn on
some obscure option like $wgScaryTransclusion or something similar.)

Of course, this is not perfect. Unsophisticated users might not
realize they're not in Kansas any more, and the Meta help may not be
perfectly synch'd to your version, and you can't customize or improve
the help (unless, of course, it improves Meta's help, which is
negentropic and great!). But for me, it was a heck of a lot better
than importing stuff, waiting for it to break, then going back and
importing more stuff, then waiting for it to break, then importing
more stuff...

:::: We can only continue to use oil as long as it lasts. We should
be looking for other sources of energy. There's only one that's big
enough, it's free, and good for at least a billion years. That's the
sun. We must move into solar energy. -- M. King Hubbert, 1976 ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.EcoReality.org> ::::