[Mediawiki-l] help!

Elisabeth Freeman beth_spam at mac.com
Mon Jan 16 02:52:06 UTC 2006

Hi all,
I just subscribed, so this may be a topic that has already been
discussed and if so, I apologize in advance.

I just upgraded from Mac OS X 10.4.3 to 10.4.4, and my Media Wiki
stopped working.  Argghhh!  I can't live without it.

Here's the error message:
Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /Users/beth/
Sites/mediawiki-1.4.5/includes/ObjectCache.php on line 409

I was running 1.4.5, on MySQL 4.x  and php 4.x.  I tried to find info
about this problem online, and saw one message from someone who said
it was related to an update in the php version on Mac, but I checked
the documentation and MediaWiki 1.4.5 doesn't seem to require php 4.x
specifically.

I am attempting fix the problem by installing the new version of
Media Wiki, 1.5.4.  However, when I try to install I see the
following error in the Web installation.

Database config

MySQL server

Connection failed
If your database server isn't on your web server, enter the name or
IP address here.

I get the same error if I try to use the upgrade / update php scripts.

I've verified I'm using exactly the same database connection host,
user id, and password as the previous version of the wiki, and
indeed, I can connect to it using those same parameters from the
command line with no problem:

[Delerium:~/Sites/wiki] beth% mysql -h localhost -u wikiuser -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 50 to server version: 4.0.21 Complete
MySQL by Server Logistics

mysql> show databases;
+----------+
| Database |
+----------+
| test     |
| wikidb   |
+----------+
2 rows in set (0.01 sec)

mysql>

So, now I'm suspecting that the reason my Media Wiki 1.4.5 is failing
after this update to Mac OS X 10.4.4 may be something else?
Something to do with the way the operating system connects to MySql?
But I'm not sure.  I'm running mysql out of /usr/local/mysql and
there is no other installation of mysql (that I *know* of...)

Any clues?  Anyone else having a problem after updating to 10.4.4?  I
am happy to stick with 1.4.5 if I can fix that error, or upgrade to
1.5.4 if that's the better way to solve it.  A solution to either of
these problems would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Beth