[Mediawiki-l] Are old versions kept indefinitely

Sy Ali sy1234 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 03:17:09 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Dharmaweb.org <dharmaweb at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can we delete it if we don't want to keep it?

A while back I asked this same question.  It seems that a lot of
people ask it and this feature won't be implemented for political
reasons.

However, I am hopeful that there are ways.  When I asked, Rob replied with:

Undelete the pages; yes, undelete. Then nip into the page table and
find out the page id...delete that page's row from the page table. Hop
over to the revisions table and delete all rows where rev_page is the
same as that page id. That's a permanent deletion; the page never
existed.

For the small touches, check that corresponding revisions are wiped
from the recent changes table, too.

--

I haven't tried this, but I want to someday (for various reasons).

If you do try this, please report back.  There are many people who
would be interested to learn of your experiences because we want to
use MediaWiki for what we want and it's capable of and not be limited
to how others use it or what it's built for.

... now if I take this hammer, and I turn it around and I use the
pry-part and wriggle it into the head of the screw, and I turn ...